Wednesday 22 January 2014

Trusham Church Wall Paintings.

Well it's been a while! Since my last posts I've been very busy working for a few different conservation companies across the country and sadly the blog has stalled!

To rectify this I've scheduled a blog post for every Friday at 17.00 GMT over the next seven weeks covering most of the projects I've been involved with since September 2012. I've tried to keep them brief and colourful, but if you want any more information please do contact me.

I'm going to start with the most recent but from then on I'll pop them up from the oldest to the most recent. So without further a do here's what I've been up to this month:

The East Wall.

The Church of St. Michael The Archangel in Trusham is a small Medieval parish church in Devon. It is having a large refurbishment at the moment and as part of this project McNeilage Conservation have been working on the painted ceiling over the choir and the painted east wall.

One of the painted ceiling panels. 
As part of their team I undertook work cleaning, stripping and filling areas of the panels and the east wall to help improve the appearance and long term condition of the painted surfaces.

Part of the metal painted panel over the window during cleaning.
The scheme was a relatively simple floral pattern, Victorian or later, and incorporated a painted and gilded metal sheet panel with a motto over the East Window. The conservation was primarily conducted with swab cleaning under magnification and other controlled cleaning methods.

This Friday at 17.00 the first archive post will go live, some photos of a project at St. Mary's in Oxford.